THE EVOLUTION OF ANDER HERRERA'S GAME



In the foreword to his book 'How to Watch Football', Ruud Gullit is matter-of-fact about what it takes to be a player at the highest level. "The over-riding objective must be to win, even if that involves taking on a different identity should the situation demand it. In the end, football is about winning."
The Dutchman wrote about how individuals must have a "shrewdness" and it brought to mind how Ander Herrera has adapted his game to become a vital midfield cog for Jose Mourinho's Manchester United, adding a real competitive spirit in a vital area of the pitch despite his innocent looks. "Although my face is young, I am in the middle now [in terms of age]," he laughed in a chat with us in 2015.
In another exclusive interview with United Review, the official matchday programme, conducted before Wednesday's Premier League encounter with Hull City, the 27-year-old explained how he is attempting to fulfill the expectations of the manager and cope with the demands of a role that is destructive as well as constructive.
Having passed a century of appearances for the club since joining in 2014, he is a fully-fledged Red with a passionate devotion to the cause that engenders genuine affection from the supporters who regularly chant his name. Arriving with a reputation as a tidy ball player, it was instantly apparent from his opening appearances that he was also not afraid to put his foot in, when required. This aggression suggested he had what it took to make his mark in the Premier League.
"I think it’s fantastic to play for the biggest club in England over 100 times," he told United Review. "I think it’s a great achievement and I’m so happy for that. Maybe now is the time I am enjoying the most. I’m so happy but I don’t want to stop around 100. I want to keep playing with this club, try to have a fantastic season and try to win titles because that is what this club is about."
By focusing on his deeper role in the side, Herrera has studied other players in his position - most avidly his fellow countryman Sergio Busquets, who holds things together at Barcelona and enables the attackers to flourish. "I like to see the things I can improve myself," he commented. "Sergio knows how to play in every moment."
It is helping him to understand his importance in the team dynamic and has not stopped him getting forward too; he provided an assist at West Ham United for Zlatan Ibrahimovic and his header was acrobatically turned home by Bastian Schweinsteiger in the Emirates FA Cup victory over Wigan Athletic. Herrera is in no doubt that he has taken Mourinho's instructions on board and is capable of delivering on a consistent basis because he will always give his all.
"I know what he wants from me," asserted the Spaniard. "We have a clear relationship. I know what he expects from me and I will always try my best. I can make mistakes, as can any player, but the most important thing for me is the achievements of the club and the team. I think everyone knows in the club that I try to always give everything. Sometimes more successfully than other times but I try my best, always.
"The manager has helped me a lot to find that position and to improve in that position," he continued. "I am a team player. If I have to play 6, 8 or 10, I will be very happy. If I was at right-back, I would be happy as well. When you want to have a great season, there is no space for your own 'likes'. I think you have the chance to help the team wherever the manager wants to play you. He will have no problem with me if I have to play wherever in the team."
With a grasp of English that shows how settled he has become in this country, Herrera admitted he is not concerned if the edge he has developed may, from time to time, upset opposition supporters. 
"There is no space for polemics in my vocabulary," he explained. "I just want to win games for Manchester United. I don’t care about other teams. I play for the best. I am very, very happy with the way United fans show their affection to me.
"To be honest, I don’t care about the rest of the teams. No, I just play for United and I’m very thankful to the fans. I am very lucky that I play for the best club in England so I don’t really think about the rest of the teams."
It was the sort of answer you would expect from any fan of the Reds - and exactly why the all-action midfield man is so popular with the Old Trafford faithful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000mere Redirect Links

Bernard Arnault Becomes New World Richest Man